no going back, no going home :: kinatheo

Theodore Levis
    Borkon Lover

no going back, no going home :: kinatheo

Post by Theodore Levis on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 pm

It was happening.

The only thing standing between Theo and his past was a day's worth of train rides. Tomorrow morning he would be in Lilycove, and then tomorrow afternoon he would be home. Home. There had not been a place he could truly call home since he had been seven. The day was fresh in his mind, like it always was. His parents being ripped from him. His home being ripped from him the next day. The night he spent alone in the back store room, hiding from his parents' bodies that were lying in the store front. It wasn't until the following morning that they were discovered, and then him.

"BRO," Kin said, waving a hand in front of Theo's face. Theo started and Kinley smiled. "Amelia to Theo, you alright in there?"

The trio was sitting in a comfortable booth, snacks littered between them. They'd bought out half the junk food section in the little store at the middle of the train. Kinley's belly hurt, but she didn't let that stop her from ripping open another bag of sour candies. Sour was her weakness. She held up a brochure she and Nat had found under their seat.

"Looking out the window was making me dizzy," Theo explained. Kin and Nat had noticed him several times staring out the window, unable to focus on anything. It was hard to pull himself into the present when he was finally getting a chance to revisit his past. He grabbed the brochure out of Kinely's swinging arms and looked at it.

"We were just talking about what to do when we get to Lilycove tomorrow morning. I can't wait, there is this awesome breakfast place! Before we get to your house, of course. After breakfast we can head straight there." Kin and Nat had talked privately about the trip before departure--Nat had filled Kin in a little on Theo's past, and Kin had been trying to be a little more casual about the trip and not so !!!excite!!!, but sometimes it was hard to help it. She didn't have much tact, even when trying.

"Oh, yeah, sure. Sounds great," Theo said. He really did want to explore Lilycove, anyway. He wanted to know as much about his city as possible. "Breakfast there sounds awesome."

Natalie Sterling
    Squabby Bobby

Re: no going back, no going home :: kinatheo

Post by Natalie Sterling on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Nat was barely paying attention as Kin chatted to her about all the stuff they were going to do once they reached Lilycove, just offering the occasional "mmhm" and "yeah" in response. She kept discreetly stealing glances at Theo, wondering what was going on in his head. He kept zoning out, staring transfixed out the window, lost in thought. Duh, he's thinking about his parents, Nat thought to herself. The whole point of this trip was to go to Theo's childhood home. His parents had died there.

Kin wrote:"BRO. Amelia to Theo, you alright in there?"

Nat quickly looked down when Theo looked over at them, pretending to be really interested in a candy wrapper on the table in front of her. She listened as they talked about where to get breakfast once they got there. She should say something too, she thought.

"I've never actually been to Lilycove," she offered. She'd been to many parts of Amelia, but Lilycove wasn't one of them. "What's it like there?"
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Bacón

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Amazing. Incredible. Big, and vibrant and home. It was stupid, the way Theo felt about Lilycove. The cynical part of him knew that he would be returning to somewhere he hadn't been part of for TEN YEARS (he'd recently turned seventeen...and still had yet to settle), that wouldn't remember him even if he could never forget it; but the part of him that had dreamed of returning for so long wouldn't stop screaming in his head. The corner shop where he and his dad always went to look at comics, the donut bakery a few streets over where he would have breakfast with his mom every Sunday. Their road filled with their nice neighbors--the same neighbors that had cheered Theo on as he learned to ride a bike.

But how could he say any of that to Nat and Kin without sounding stupid? That he missed the entirety of it, not just one or two parts. Saying, "it's really cool," sounded lame, but saying, "it is amazingly perfect," sounded lamer. His entire identity had been built around not caring.

They're your friends, Panda said patiently. And they know why you want to go. If you can tell them that, I'm sure they'll understand the rest.

"I mean, it's obviously been awhile since I've seen it, but it's, it's huge. And just, I don't know, I guess it's nice," he said, sounding blase and casual.

"I'm sure it's going to be awesome," Kin said. "You've gotta be so excited. I'm so excited. And happy for you! This is what you've been waiting for, right? And now you're doing it. It's just cool--you just decided to do it, and now it's happening."

Despite Theo's attempts at staying cool, he couldn't help but smile at Kin's words. Maybe the whole thing wasn't as lame as he thought. "Yeah, it's just too bad I had to bring you guys along, huh?" he joked.

"You kidding?" Kin laughed. She threw an arm around Nat's shoulder. "You couldn't have made it this far without us!"
    Kinley Sommers
    Tiny Squid

Post by Kinley Sommers on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Amazing. Incredible. Big, and vibrant and home. It was stupid, the way Theo felt about Lilycove. The cynical part of him knew that he would be returning to somewhere he hadn't been part of for TEN YEARS (he'd recently turned seventeen...and still had yet to settle), that wouldn't remember him even if he could never forget it; but the part of him that had dreamed of returning for so long wouldn't stop screaming in his head. The corner shop where he and his dad always went to look at comics, the donut bakery a few streets over where he would have breakfast with his mom every Sunday. Their road filled with their nice neighbors--the same neighbors that had cheered Theo on as he learned to ride a bike.

But how could he say any of that to Nat and Kin without sounding stupid? That he missed the entirety of it, not just one or two parts. Saying, "it's really cool," sounded lame, but saying, "it is amazingly perfect," sounded lamer. His entire identity had been built around not caring.

They're your friends, Panda said patiently. And they know why you want to go. If you can tell them that, I'm sure they'll understand the rest.

"I mean, it's obviously been awhile since I've seen it, but it's, it's huge. And just, I don't know, I guess it's nice," he said, sounding blase and casual.

"I'm sure it's going to be awesome," Kin said. "You've gotta be so excited! I'm so excited. And happy for you! This is what you've been waiting for, right? And now you're doing it. It's just cool--you just decided to do it, and now it's happening."

Despite Theo's attempts at staying cool, he couldn't help but smile at Kin's words. Maybe the whole thing wasn't as lame as he thought. "Yeah, it's just too bad I had to bring you guys along, huh?" he joked.

"You kidding?" Kin laughed. She threw an arm around Nat's shoulder. "You couldn't have made it this far without us!"
    Natalie Sterling
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Natalie Sterling on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:44 pm

When Theo smiled--really smiled, which he so rarely did--Nat couldn't help from smiling back. He had a nice smile. And she also couldn't help but laugh with Kin when she threw her arm around Nat's shoulder. "Yeah, Kin's right," she agreed. This really did feel amazing. Nat and her two best, only friends, on the adventure of a lifetime. "'Sides, you're glad we came too and you know it!"

Just then, the bell indicating that the train was reaching its next station rang out. As the train came to a stop in the Dahlin station, the conductor entered their car. "Last stop of the night, kids," he said.

Last stop? "What about the train to Lilycove?" asked Nat.

"The trains don't run at night," the conductor said in a 'not my problem' voice. "You gotta get off here."

Nat looked at Kin and Theo, who looked back at her. Without much choice, they gathered their things and disembarked from the train. The three of them stood alone in the dark station for a moment, not saying much. Finally, Nat said, "Bet now you're really glad we came along, too." It would suck being stuck here alone, but with friends? This was just another adventure.
    Theodore Levis
    Borkon Lover

Post by Theodore Levis on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:35 pm

"What?" Theo demanded, irritated and upset. The conductor and his fellow train-clio ushered the kids off the train with the rest of the passengers. All those other passengers had somewhere to go, though. Pretty soon it was only KINATHEO, alone, at the station.

Nat wrote:Bet now you're really glad we came along, too.

Kinley started laughing a full-belly laugh. She didn't once consider the dangers they might face, alone in a city they'd never been in and with nowhere to go to sleep. Instead, she thought the situation was morbidly hysterical. She'd wanted an adventure--and now they were sure getting one. They'd be stuck in Dahlin until morning.

"This is great," she said. "We get to explore all night!"

Theo was less ecstatic. He had wanted to reach Lilycove by morning--had planned everything out in his mind. He wanted to be in his city, not here in this town he didn't care about. He walked over to the board that listed all the trips, along with the times for departures and arrivals. "How the hell did we miss this?" he asked, not bothering to hide his irritation. "Who planned our route?"

"Well jeeze, Mr. Grumpalump," Kin said. "It's not like we did it on purpose." She and Nat had planned the route, excitedly, last weekend. So maybe they hadn't been paying the most attention...but neither one of them had ever needed to use the trains at night!

"It's not like it was something easy to miss! We didn't mis-schedule a departure or something, this train doesn't run at night ever!" Theo said. He sounded as grumpy as he felt. He ignored Panda when she tried to insist it had been an honest mistake.

"So much for being glad we're here," Kinley stage whispered to Nat as Theo walked off and sat on a bench. The girls watched as he leaned over and put his head in his hands. "Dramatic or what?"

Natalie Sterling
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Natalie Sterling on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Nat scowled. "What does the route we took have to do with anything?" she asked, annoyed at his anger. "The trains would have stopped running at night no matter which route we took. And newsflash, you didn't know they stopped at night either."

She had never traveled at night before. During the day, trains left for their next destination every fifteen minutes, so even if you missed one you could easily hop the next. It wasn't like a tightly scheduled thing. You just had to make sure you were on one going the right direction.

Mainly she was just annoyed that Theo was being so pissy towards her and Kin all of the sudden. Why did this have to be such a bad thing? So they'd stay in Dahlin for the night and take the first train to Lilycove in the morning. It should be fun, but he was acting like it was the end of the world. "Well, we're going to explore the city," she told him, walking towards Kin. He could sit there all night alone if he wanted to so badly.
    Kinley Sommers
    Tiny Squid

Post by Kinley Sommers on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Theo sat, seemingly unaffected by Nat's words. Kin raised her eyebrows. Nat had been the more forgiving of the two in regards to Theo's prickly aloof-ness, but she seemed to be taking no crap at the moment.

Kinley stood still for a moment, waiting for one of her friends to make a move or say something. Neither did, so she sighed dramatically. "Alright, alright, well looks like Nat and I will be exploring. I guess we will see you at sunrise, or something?" she called over. No response. "Ya know, I'm guessing walking around will keep you warmer than just sitting on a bench!"

Theo rolled his eyes. He wasn't really irritated with either Nat or Kin--he was just angry at the situation. He didn't feel like walking around or talking to anyone. He wanted to do what he usually did when he got angry--sit around wallowing in self-pity and writing in his notebook.

Sounds like a great way to spend the first night of your adventure, Panda said stiffly. So something went wrong--all that's happening is that we'll get to Lilycove a day later. And you really should tell Nat you're not mad at them, she added.

Kinley shrugged. "Okay, adios!" She turned away and she and Nat began to leave the station.

They didn't make it very far on the outside when they heard footsteps. Kin stopped and turned around. "Fine, I'm coming, I'm coming," Theo said as he approached. He still sounded irritable, but Kin was mostly used to that, anyway.

"Welcome back, Mr. Grumpalump!" she said, hoping it would annoy him. He didn't respond and she smiled.
    Natalie Sterling
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Natalie Sterling on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:21 pm

As Kinley needled Theo, Nat wanted to tell her not to bother, to just leave him there while they went and had fun. She didn't even want him to come exploring with them anymore if he was just going to be a jerk any time something didn't go perfectly. She dealt with that crap enough with her sister. But of course, just as they were walking away he got up and came after them. Still annoyed, she just acted like she didn't even notice him.

"I know a really cool place we can check out," she said to Kin, as if Theo wasn't there. "It's a dueling piano bar. Clio go up on stage and the audience requests songs, and then they have like a...piano-play-off."

She had gone to the bar, named Keys, before with her dad. He even went up and played sometimes, to the audience's delight (she was too shy to, though, despite his encouragement). It could be a little risky to go, but if it was crowded enough they could probably blend in with the crowd. The worst that would happen is they'd get kicked out.
    Theodore Levis
    Borkon Lover

Post by Theodore Levis on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:11 am

"That sounds cool," Kin said. "I know this isn't what it is, but I am totally picturing two clio on top of pianos, swinging at each other." Her voice got serious and announcer like and she said, "TWO PIANO DUELISTS ENTER THE BAR...ONLY ONE WILL LEAVE!"

Theo walked silently next to them, a duel of his own raging in his head. There wasn't even anything to be angry about! He knew it, Panda knew it, the girls knew it. But it was really hard to just...let it go. His emotions had been so out of control today, and this was no different.

"Look at this! Wow, it's so...large," Kin said as they walked. The buildings they were walking past were covered in graffiti. The one in particular Kin was pointing to was a giant penis colored in rainbow paint. Cool. "If we had a camera I would want a picture in front of this one," she said.

Theo rolled his eyes but laughed, anyway, despite himself.
    Natalie Sterling
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Natalie Sterling on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Kinbo wrote:"I know this isn't what it is, but I am totally picturing two clio on top of pianos, swinging at each other. TWO PIANO DUELISTS ENTER THE BAR...ONLY ONE WILL LEAVE!"

Nat laughed, not only because what Kin said was funny, but because she was now picturing her dad taking part in this version of a "piano duel." Gods, that would be awesome and hilarious.

She looked up at the rainbow penis graffiti when Kin pointed it out. "I can totally imagine you painting this somewhere on the school grounds," she said to Kinley, since she was still committed to ignoring Theo's presence.

They arrived at Keys. Nat had always liked the design of the sign they had, with treble-clef inspired font across a musical stave. Luck was on their side, as there was just now a very large group of clio being let in by the bouncer. Nat, Kin and Theo were able to slip inside completely unnoticed.

The inside was set up just as Nat remembered, wooden tables and chairs all oriented towards a stage up front, where two pianos sat facing each other. They must have just finished a piano duel, because the announcer guy was having the audience cheer to pick the winner. The bar was at the back of the room. Nat loved it here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 pm