little seeds of romance blossoming in the savannah -h2-

Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

little seeds of romance blossoming in the savannah -h2-

Post by Lucina Alkire on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Lucina wasn't a planner. She just went with the flow, doing whatever felt like a good idea at the time, acting on impulse. Perhaps that was how she had ended up on her way to a date with Henrik Selway-Sommers. After their little "game night", Lucina had decided, fuck it. She liked him. She liked his hair and his shy smile and his willingness to try new things with her that he'd never try with anyone else. And he so obviously liked her, too. So she called him up and invited him to a dinner date.

It was a popular seafood restaurant called The Swordfish. Luce was wearing a casual black shift dress and boots, nothing fancy. As she approached she saw that Henrik was already waiting for her outside, sitting on a little bench out front, clearly trying to look as inconspicuous as clioly possible. "Hey!!" she called, coming over and giving him a hug when he stood up.

"Have you been here before?" Luce asked Henrik as they went inside, knowing that he probably hadn't. She wondered if he'd ever even left campus before. She saw a few clio that she knew from her classes and waved to them, ignoring their quizzical looks at her choice of dining companion. "They have the best seafood on the island."
    Henrik Selway-Sommers
    Squabby Bobby

Re: little seeds of romance blossoming in the savannah -h2-

Post by Henrik Selway-Sommers on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Henri had gone through a lot of emotions since the last time he saw Lucina. He'd been very, very drunk that last time, so much of it was hazy, but the shining moment that stood out most clearly was the kiss. Kisses. He remembered those in hyper clarity, as though they'd been recorded in his mind, somehow.

Kissing Lucina was both a source of elation and of crippling fear. He'd replayed those moments over and over in his head, had gone back and forth from feeling extremely happy to feeling so nervous and anxious over it that he'd actually started to feel clammy. And those emotions were before Lucina had called.

The phone call had involved stammering, but somehow he'd agreed on a date. A date that was a date, she'd told him, in case he'd been unsure. A dinner date. At a real restaurant. And he hadn't even considered saying no.

Which is how he ended up here, walking into The Swordfish with the only clio who could have gotten him here.

Lucina wrote:Have you been here before? They have the best seafood on the island.

"I have not," Henri said honestly, walking in. He felt overdressed but Lucina didn't seem to mind, so he tried not to, either. She was dressed beautifully, in a black dress that had made his eyes widen. It was casual compared to his suit, but she looked so incredibly good in it that he had a hard time pulling his gaze away from her. "It looks really cool, though." Cool? What a LAME way to describe something.

The host took them to a table seated next to a large window. The view from it was incredible, with a great view of the beach. "Thank you," Henri said as politely as possible as they sat down. The host left, letting them know that their server would be over soon.

Henri fiddled with his napkin for a moment before looking up at Lucina. "You...you look really pretty," he told her. He could feel his cheeks getting warm, but he hoped the dark corner they were seated in would hide the flush.

You're doing great! Lydia peeped from under his chair. She hadn't even needed to remind him to compliment her.
    Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

Post by Lucina Alkire on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 am

Henrik wrote:"It looks really cool, though."

"It is cool," Luce agreed at they were seated at a window-side table with a fantastic view. It was the best place to sit in the restaurant. She winked at him. "And romantic."

Henrik wrote:"You...you look really pretty."

Lucina flashed him a smile. "Thanks," she said. She looked at him. While he didn't look bad, far from it in fact, he was a bit...er, comically overdressed. She knew if she said that, though, he would never be able to relax all night or possibly ever again. So instead, she told him, "You're looking pretty dapper yourself."

"It is a bit warm tonight though. If you get too hot, you can always take off your jacket," she said. His ensemble could be toned down a decent amount just by losing the jacket.

The server stopped by their table to get their drink orders. "I'll have a white sangria," she said.
    Henrik Selway-Sommers
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Henrik Selway-Sommers on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:06 am

Everything Lucina said to Henri made him feel warmer, so when she suggested that he remove his jacket he happily complied. "Oh!" he said a bit too happily, because he had not thought of it himself. He felt his ears immediately get warmer at his outburst, so he toned it way down when he said, "That's a, um, good idea." He took the jacket off and hung it on the back of his chair. It took a few moments more than it should have because he felt nervous to be turned around, but eventually he was able to do it and he turned back to Lucina who was smiling with amusement. He smiled back, knowing his cheeks were red.

When the waiter asked for their drink order, Henri felt himself panic. He hadn't had time to look at the menu! He'd never been here before! His chest felt tight for the first time that evening, and he couldn't even bring himself to grab for the menu that was laying on the table in front of him.

That's when Lucina ordered her white sangria. "Yes!" Henri said too quickly. He paused, feeling his cheeks flair up again. "I'm sorry, I mean, I will too. I'll take that. Too." He forced a smile.

The waiter raised his eyebrows, but wrote down the order and left to go get it. "Thank you!" Henri said feebly as the man walked away. After a second's pause he dropped his face into his hands.

"I am so sorry," he told Lucina. "I panicked." He looked back up, half expecting Lucina to have a disgusted look on her face. Everything he did was embarrassing--why had she invited him here?
    Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

Post by Lucina Alkire on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:52 am

Lucina rolled her eyes and shook her head in an amused sort of way as Henrik fumbled with his jacket, but quickly stopped when he turned back to look at her. She couldn't, however, erase her smirk in time, but to her surprise he smiled back instead of getting all weird about it. Ah, progress.

She watched his somewhat painful interaction with the server, but was relieved that in his panic he managed to order the same thing as her. Alcohol would make this date a lot easier to get through, for the both of them. She had to admit though, it was nice to know that Henrik was willing to step so far outside his comfort zone in order to spend time with her. This thing between them would never work out if he stayed unwilling to ever leave his room or talk to anyone.

Henrik wrote:"I am so sorry. I panicked."

"It was just a drink order," Luce said, hiding her exasperation with a lighthearted tone of voice. "What was there to panic about?"

He's going to hyperventilate when he has to order an actual meal, Tuli said in his usual dry way.

Oh, stop, Luce said, though she was a little worried he might be right.
    Henrik Selway-Sommers
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Henrik Selway-Sommers on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Henri sighed. He knew it wouldn't make sense to her, or to anyone else. It was impossible to explain the tightness he felt in his chest whenever he felt got nervous, was hard to articulate why he was even nervous in the first place.

"I know...I just..." He wished he could just stop talking about this--shut down and go back to his room. But he was here, and was with Lucina, who at least didn't seem upset. "I get overwhelmed sometimes," he finished, lamely.

He picked up the menu that sat in front of him and fidgeted with it, picking at the corner where it was peeling a little. Instead of dwelling on the issue, he decided to actually read the menu so he wouldn't have the same issue when the waiter returned. "What...what do you usually get when you eat here?" he asked her, looking up at her from the menu. He loved fish, but wanted to know what her favorite was.

Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

Post by Lucina Alkire on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:08 pm

But why? Luce wanted to ask, but she didn't. She didn't think Henrik would even have an answer. She wished he would just relax with her, the way he had at the pool, but that had just been the two of them plus alcohol.

Henrik wrote:"What...what do you usually get when you eat here?"

"Something different every time," Luce said. "Oh, this lobster mac and cheese sounds really good. I think I'll get that."

There was a silence between them, during which Henrik was clearly uncomfortable. Sigh. "I know you don't really like coming out like this," she said, "but I'm glad you did." She wondered how, as an overloridian's son, he had been able to be so reclusive his whole life. Kinley was constantly going to social events, along with Senna and Poppy. (In fact, it used to make Luce feel jealous and left out). Did Henrik just...stay home for those? Was he allowed to do that? "Didn't you ever go to things, like, overloridian things where there were lots of clio?"
    Henrik Selway-Sommers
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Henrik Selway-Sommers on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:49 pm

Would it be weird for him to order the same thing she did? He decided he didn't want to risk it, but chose whatever was underneath it...which ended up being shrimp tacos. Shrimp tacos actually didn't sound too bad. "I think I'm going to get the shrimp tacos," he told her.

Lucina wrote:I know you don't really like coming out like this, but I'm glad you did. Didn't you ever go to things, like, overloridian things where there were lots of clio?

Henri nodded and fidgeted with his menu a little more. "All the time," he said. "I still have to go sometimes." Weddings, overloridian ceremonies, funerals. Birthday parties for the kids. "They are...stressful."

He wanted to tell Lucina about how horrible these things had been for him growing up, but he was embarrassed. How all of the kids had made fun of him--how he begged to stay home. "Lots of clio being around isn't exactly my thing...if you haven't noticed." He offered her a weak smile.

"But this is nice," he told her. He did enjoy being here with her, whether he could articulate that clearly or not. "I know I get too anxious about too many things...but I'm happy I came here. With you."

The waiter interrupted them, then. He brought out their drinks and took their orders (which Henri was able to deliver without stuttering).

Henri took a sip of his sangria after the waiter had left. "Oh, this is good," he said, looking back up at her. "Much better than that rum and coke." He smiled.

Henri Selway-Sommers, Lydia asked, are you poking fun at your date?
    Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

Post by Lucina Alkire on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Henrik wrote:"All the time. I still have to go sometimes. They are...stressful."

Luce smiled. "When I was little, I was so jealous of you guys getting to go to those things," she told him. "It wasn't the events themselves. It was like, Kin and your sisters were my playmates growing up, and they got to do all these things that I didn't. And even though I was just a kid, I could pick up how I was treated differently." She shook her head, still smiling to show that she wasn't bitter or anything. Her parents had come from nothing and she was grateful for the life they'd built for her. In fact, nowadays she could unequivocally state that she would not want to be an overloridian's kid. "But I can definitely see why you would hate that kind of thing."

Henrik wrote:"But this is nice. I know I get too anxious about too many things...but I'm happy I came here. With you."

"Me too," Luce said honestly. "I like hanging out with you."

Henrik wrote:"Oh, this is good. Much better than that rum and coke."

Luce laughed. "That was vodka, not rum," she reminded him, sipping her own drink. "Remember? I told you it was top shelf and you were so disappointed."
    Henrik Selway-Sommers
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Henrik Selway-Sommers on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Lucina wrote:When I was little, I was so jealous of you guys getting to go to those things. It wasn't the events themselves. It was like, Kin and your sisters were my playmates growing up, and they got to do all these things that I didn't. And even though I was just a kid, I could pick up how I was treated differently. But I can definitely see why you would hate that kind of thing.

"Really?" Henri asked. "I would have done anything to get out of them." He could understand why someone like Lucina would have wanted to go, though. She would have loved getting to hang out with all the kids. Like she said, Senna and Poppy and Kinley were always together at the parties, and then there had been Natalie, the girl from Earalas. The rest of his peers were more vague to him. The Adhbhar kids, and then the millions of little ones from Deilig and Cuir.

jLucina wrote:That was vodka, not rum," she reminded him, sipping her own drink. "Remember? I told you it was top shelf and you were so disappointed

Henri let out a laugh, surprising even himself. He held up his glass and tilted it a little, the sangria swished around the inside of the glass. "Well, whatever it was, this is much better."
    Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

Post by Lucina Alkire on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Luce grinned when Henrik laughed. "Ah, so you're a fruity drink kinda guy, then," she said, taking her own glass and clinking it against his. She'd never bought into the stupid notion that fruity drinks were only for girls or whatever. "Good taste."

She sat back and took a long sip. "Well, that sucks that you have to go to all these events you hate," she said. "But next time you're at the Solas Estate, you can sneak away and find me."

They continued to chat as the waiter brought out their food. All in all things weren't actually going too badly. Luce was having a good time, anyways, and Henrik at least seemed a little relaxed. By the time they were almost done eating, they were talking about what it was like living in Solas versus Nadar.

"I'd like to visit Nadar sometime," Luce said, hoping Henrik would get the hint that she wanted him to invite her there. "Not the jungle-y part, but you know. The rest of it." She laughed a little.
    Henrik Selway-Sommers
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Henrik Selway-Sommers on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Henri was having a great time with Lucina. It had been so long since he'd been able to go out somewhere and actually enjoy himself. When he was with Lucina he felt more confident--part of it was that he knew he had someone that genuinely wanted his company. The other part of it was that he genuinely enjoyed hers. He felt like a normal clio, one that didn't have to have a panic attack every five seconds.

Lucina wrote:I'd like to visit Nadar sometime. Not the jungle-y part, but you know. The rest of it.

Henri laughed a little as well, and then wiped his mouth with his napkin. "Honestly the entire island is pretty jungle-y," he told her. "It is a lot different than Solas, but I think you would like it...you should come visit sometime. Like on a break or something."

Wait. Had he just invited someone to visit his home? "I mean--if you want to. The estate has plenty of extra rooms. Like Solas."
    Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

Post by Lucina Alkire on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 pm

"I'd love to!" Luce beamed. And to think, not long ago Henrik could barely look her in the eye. Now he was competently managing a date with her, and inviting her to his house...er, mansion house thing. She already vaguely knew his parents. Kin's aunt and uncle, who had been to Solas a few times. Luce had never really interacted with them though. And especially not as their son's girlfriend.

Is that what you are? Tuli asked skeptically.

Well, something like that, Luce said. They were on a date. They were something. Date-things.

"The garden sounds so pretty. I think it'd be fun."
    Henrik Selway-Sommers
    Squabby Bobby

Post by Henrik Selway-Sommers on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Henri couldn't help but beam back when Lucina smiled brightly at his invitation. Gods, he loved her smile. It's too bad there was a table in the way or he probably would have used the adrenaline-fed butterflies that erupted in his stomach to fuel a kiss.

Lucina wrote:The garden sounds so pretty. I think it'd be fun.

"It is so beautiful," he agreed. He'd always been in awe of it, and oddly envious of his parents for being able to bring such an amazing thing to life. "There is a lot to do there, we have so many gardens." Peaceful and secluded and they had served as the perfect place for young Henri to escape to throughout the years. "I could show you the library, too!"

He froze for a second. Who would want to see the library (but him)? "Or--or we can just, we can do whatever you want. There is a lot." He smiled a little sheepishly.

Eventually the waiter came over and left the check. He didn't bother asking the young couple to split the check, which made it easy for Henri to be as least awkward as possible when taking the little booklet and sliding the cash in for the two of them.

"Are you ready?" Henri asked Lucina, having put enough moolah for both the meals and the tip. He folded his napkin and placed it on the table.
    Lucina Alkire
    Borkon Lover

Post by Lucina Alkire on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Hinklenrinkle wrote:"Or--or we can just, we can do whatever you want. There is a lot."

"I do like books you know, Henrik," Luce said in a playfully reproachful tone, noticing his embarrassment at his own library suggestion. Why would he feel the need to be embarrassed by wanting to show her the library? She knew the answer was that Henrik found everything he did embarrassing, but still. "The library sounds fun too."

"Oh--thanks!" she said, when he paid for both of them without even asking. What a gentleman. "And sure, I'm ready."

Henrik grabbed his jacket and the two of them went outside. It was dusk by now and it had cooled down considerably. "Wanna walk back to the dorms together?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:19 pm