Amelia

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

i missed you :: axel

Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

i missed you :: axel Empty i missed you :: axel

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:55 pm

It was the third of November, and Poppy was losing her mind. Her doctors had requested that she stay confined to her bed (despite her LACK OF PHYSICAL WOUNDS). Senna had told her it was probably because of her being the Overloridian's daughter. And then had promptly helped her sneak out, leading their father away to go visit Elias, and giving Poppy the chance to slip out of her room and down the hall.

Poppy didn't knock when she found the door she was looking for, but opened it quickly and slid in, closing it softly behind her. She grinned. She'd gotten in before any nurses (or parents) caught her. She turned around and looked to the bed where Axel was. Seeing him made her chest feel all weird. She had been so relieved when her mom told her she'd spoken with him; looking at him now, in the hospital bed, sitting up and alive gave her a rush of emotions.

She sighed and offered him a small smile. A smile that said "holy hell I can't believe we are here and okay and here and okay and not there" and also "hi".

"Mom told me you were awake."
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

i missed you :: axel Empty Re: i missed you :: axel

Post by Axel Lovison Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 pm

After Poppy's mom had left, Axel had slept some more, and then a doctor had come in to examine him and describe to him all his injuries in clinical detail. And then he'd slept again, fitfully this time, his memories of the barn working their way into his dreams. Now he was awake, and restless, and wishing he could do anything but lie here trapped with his own thoughts.

When the door opened and closed he looked up, expecting a doctor, and was pleasantly surprised to see Poppy instead. She looked good, all things considered, and was even smiling. He'd been told she was okay, but actually seeing her here smiling in front of him made him smile too, for the first time since he'd woken up. If he could have he would have run over and hugged her.

"On and off," he told her, in regards to being awake. "I'm really glad you're okay."
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Poppy walked over and sat gingerly on the edge of his bed. "Me too," she said to him. Someone else may have asked him about his leg, but Poppy could still remember the sickening sound of it snapping, and knew if she asked she would probably vomit. Instead, she took in the sight of Axel's face, letting herself take a few moments to ride a wave of emotions that ranged from insane disbelief to pain to happiness to overwhelming relief.

"The doctors have been in and out of my room like they're running laps," she said, looking away from him and around his room (which was much smaller than her own, despite Axel's worse injuries). "If you have the same crew, I figured you might want someone prettier to look at." She glanced back at him with another smile.
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Axel Lovison Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 pm

"I've only seen one doctor so far," Axel said, wondering why Poppy would need a whole team of them. Maybe her parents had requested it? "But they definitely weren't as pretty as you." He didn't know how, but even after all they'd been through, it still felt natural to talk/flirt with Poppy. He was surprised she even wanted to talk to him after what his father and brother had done, but he wasn't going to complain. She had been so brave back at the barn, far braver than him, and having her here now was such a comfort.

She was sitting on the very edge of the bed, so with a slight wince he scooted over to give her some more room. "Have you been to see Elias yet?" Even though he hadn't shared as strong a friendship with Elias as he had with Poppy, he still felt like he had a connection with him now, a kinship even. The three of them had suffered alongside each other and made it out alive together.
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Axel wrote:But they definitely weren't as pretty as you.

Poppy felt a small thrill at his response, despite knowing he was just flirting because that's who Axel was. She reminded herself that he'd already turned her down, and then wondered why she was even thinking about that after what they'd just gone through. She wanted to laugh at herself.

Axel wrote:Have you been to see Elias yet?

Poppy shook her head slightly, and then frowned a little. It wasn't that she didn't want to see Elias...it was just...complicated. "A lot is going on with that," she said. Besides the fact that Elias hadn't spoken to her in literal years before the night in the barn, Poppy had learned that Aunt Estela had been found.

She'd pretended to be asleep when her aunt had visited her room, wanting more time to process what was happening. It was confusing and overwhelming and...Poppy just wasn't ready for that right now.

"I don't know if you heard, but my aunt is kinda back from the dead." Poppy let out a small incredulous laugh. "Nothing really makes sense anymore."
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Axel Lovison Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Axel most certainly had not heard that Elias' mom was "back from the dead." To be honest he hadn't really known much about that situation at all. Elias had said something back at the barn about their situation being his mom's fault, which made just as little sense now as it had then. "What--back, like here?" he asked. That would definitely complicate things with his mom and Henri, he thought. He shook his head. "I honestly don't really know anything about that whole thing." All he knew was that he had been consistently baffled by Elias' hostility towards his loving family.
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:24 pm

There was so much to the story--more even than Poppy knew. She shrugged her shoulders and sighed. "You'd think with my family history I would have been a little more prepared for something like this to happen," she said quietly. She'd chosen to live her life in blissful ignorance. Maybe if she'd read her dad's book, or researched the past like Senna and Henri, she wouldn't have been so easily...

What? So easily what? asked Sansa. The little daemon, in the form of a rat, climbed up the bed and into Poppy's lap. Nothing you could have done would have changed anything about what happened. To us and Axel and Elias, or to Aunt Estela.

Poppy quickly brushed tears from her eyes and looked out of her lap, back to Axel. "My aunt disappeared four years ago. It was terrible, and..." She shook her head. "Elias stopped talking to us. And we thought she was dead, and it was just..."

She sniffed and brushed at her eyes again. "But now she's back. I overheard my mom and dad talking, and apparently...the man... was working with the clio who tookher. They came after us because she escaped." Poppy purposely said the man, and not your dad, because Axel was nothing like his father. She did not want him to think she thought they were anything alike.
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Axel Lovison Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Pop wrote:"You'd think with my family history I would have been a little more prepared for something like this to happen."

"Yeah." Axel understood exactly how Poppy felt as her eyes started to tear up. If he could have he would have sat up and put his arm around her comfortingly. He kind of wished she would lay down next to him. "My mom always tried to prepare me, but I was pretty hopeless at fighting." Maybe if he'd managed to pick up even a fraction of his mom's skill, he at least could have helped Poppy escape. Instead he'd been completely useless.

Pop wrote:"My aunt disappeared four years ago. It was terrible, and...Elias stopped talking to us. And we thought she was dead, and it was just...But now she's back. I overheard my mom and dad talking, and apparently...the man... was working with the clio who took her. They came after us because she escaped."

Axel took note of how Poppy danced around who "the man" really was, and didn't know what to make of it. He wondered if she was trying to spare his feelings by purposefully not associating him with his father, or her own. Or both. He looked down, ashamed of the familial connection that would always tie him to their torturers. No matter what he did, he would never stop being his father's son.

"Sorry," he said lamely, since even with the added context he still didn't think he fully understood what was going on with Poppy's aunt, and he was honestly too focused on what had happened to them to really try and process it. It was just too much all at once. "That that happened. Is she like...okay?" Spending four years with the type of clio who would work with his dad couldn't have been easy.
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:52 pm

"Mom said she's 'okay'," Poppy said, then added, sheepishly, "but I haven't actually talked to her, yet." She shook her head. "It's all...just a lot." She felt guilty, but also couldn't help having a strange sort of anxiety at the thought of talking with Aunt Estela. The twisted emotions made her stomach feel sick, and she couldn't focus on those when she was still overwhelmed with the ones she felt about the barn.

She looked over at Axel and gave him a weary sort of smile before putting her hand on his. She hadn't come here to unload her emotional mess on him--he would have enough of that on his own. "I'm glad you're okay." She knew they'd already said that to each other, but looking at him that was all she could think. They'd made it through something from a nightmare, but they were both here. She brushed her thumb against his.
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Axel Lovison Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Axel glanced at his bandaged leg, which he now knew was held together on the inside with pins and a metal rod. Thinking about it kind of made him sick. "Okay is...relative," he said after a pause. He was alive, and unlike Elias didn't have any permanent injuries. He supposed he should feel grateful, but he couldn't manage to.

He did smile, though, when she brushed his thumb with hers. He was at least grateful that she was okay, and had escaped the worst punishments. He turned his hand over and took hers in it, giving a gentle pull to invite her to move closer. He wished he didn't have to share this awful history with her now, but he also felt closer to her because of it. "I'm glad you still want to talk to me after everything that happened," he said.
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Poppy let herself be pulled, and very very carefully joined him, laying on the bed. She rested her head on his shoulder, liking the way it felt to be so close to him.

Axel wrote:I'm glad you still want to talk to me after everything that happened,

"What?" she asked him. "Of course I still want to talk to you." He was kinda the only one she did want to talk to. "Why wouldn't I?"
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Axel Lovison Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:59 pm

It was so comforting to have Poppy laying next to him that Axel closed his eyes and wasn't met with vivid images of the barn and his dad and brother's faces. "Because every time we hang out it's been a disaster, this last time especially," he said. And because it was my family that tried to torture us to death. He let out an unhappy sigh. "You have no idea how much I wish I could just...start over. With you." Not that anything that had happened had been in his control, plus it seemed that Poppy and Elias would have been attacked regardless. But still. He just wished everything could have gone differently for them up until now.
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Poppy couldn't disagree that she wished their past meetings had gone differently, but also know there would be no erasing the past 48 hours or anything that had happened before then, either. No amount of wishing could erase those things.

"I'm just happy I'm here. With you." Happy that they were both alive was a given, but she couldn't help but admit that she was just happy being here with Axel. Happy that she had found a few stolen moments to spend with him (despite whatever the doctors had to say about it).
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Axel Lovison Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:33 pm

"Me too," Axel said, putting his arm around Poppy. They had survived, and now they were here together. And Poppy had been so incredible through the entire ordeal, so brave. Staying strong when he himself had broken down.

"The doctors said they want me to stay here on Nadar for awhile, for my recovery," he told her. "So maybe we can spend more time together. Because I kinda think you're cool." Way back in what now seemed like a lifetime ago, Poppy had used those words to ask him out and he'd been such a fucking coward he'd turned her down. But after going through a literal life-or-death experience together, he didn't want to miss out on what could be a great thing just because he was afraid of fucking it up. Life was too short.
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Poppy Selway-Sommers
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Poppy Selway-Sommers Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Poppy laughed and looked up at him with a smile. Had he used those words on purpose? she wondered. Because they were definitely the words she'd used when she'd awkwardly tried to ask him out. That was after the fiasco at the house party with Scout. Heh.

But cradled here, lying next to him with his arm around her, it almost felt like he hadn't turned her down all those weeks ago (or was it years at this point?--she couldn't tell anymore). He looked down at her and their eyes met, and Poppy couldn't help herself. She leaned up and kissed him. It was gentle, and slow, and also a little awkward because of the angle, but it was there. She pulled back and searched his eyes for his thoughts, feeling all the while that her own brightness was going to burst out of her chest.

She wanted to spend time with him, and eventually show him Nadar, and just... be with him.
    Axel Lovison
    Axel Lovison
    Walkin' Horse Pig

Post by Axel Lovison Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Axel kissed Poppy back, grateful that she was still willing to give this thing a go. This will work out, he told himself, and almost believed it. No. Itwill work, he told himself again, with more conviction this time. Poppy was unlike anyone he'd ever met before, and they'd already been through so
    much together. If they could survive that, they could survive anything. Right?

They laid there a bit longer before a harried looking nurse burst in and demanded Poppy return to her room right this instant. She did so, leaving Axel with at least one good thought to counteract the bad ones.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm