nobody deserves you like i do [mallory]

Esmae Benoit
    Wee Bairn

nobody deserves you like i do [mallory]

Post by Esmae Benoit on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:30 pm

As morning turned to early afternoon, Esmae filled a light turquoise porcelain teapot with water to heat on the stove. After spending a relaxing (and miraculous) morning by herself in her loft, she was getting ready for a  very important visitor -- one that she saw considerable potential in and hoped to help mold into a true powerhouse.

One of the older lofts in Stonecraft, what Esmae's place lacked in size it made up for in character. Each wall was lined with aged bricks of various muddied red hues; two tall windows with elegant windowpanes faced the city outside and street below; original dark wood lined the floor while the high white ceiling was tiled with intricate designs; and, of course, green leaves and stems sprouting from large and small potted plants alike made the small space feel like an elaborate urban jungle.

Esmae rarely had her place to herself anymore, as street kids were typically found meandering around, but she made sure to have the place empty today. She wanted Mallory to understand the weight of the offer she was proposing, and being alone with Esmae Beau Benoit was not something that happened often.

Mallory, who had been working with Esmae and the crew for some time now, had also never been invited to Esmae's place before. Esmae and the group's affiliates typically operated in their expansive underground maze of a bunker under Stonecraft's streets (or one of their streetside shops that served as a front), while her place was reserved more for the kids or VIP clients.

While Mallory was neither a street kid or a client, she was VIP, and Esmae envisioned a much larger role for her in the very near future, if she would agree. She hoped Mallory would -- Esmae wasn't used to accepting 'no' for an answer.
    Mallory Lorenz
    Wee Bairn

Re: nobody deserves you like i do [mallory]

Post by Mallory Lorenz on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Should I be nervous? Mallory wondered as she walked up the steps to Esmae's loft, the loud click of her high heels echoing through the stairwell. She had never been invited to Esmae's home before. And as the little errand boy who had handed her the invite put it, "You don't just get invited to Esmae's without a reason."

Mallory was fairly certain she wasn't important enough in Esmae's hierarchy to have pissed her off. She ran some numbers, she moved some money. Pretty hard to fuck that up, unless you were an idiot, which Mallory was not.

A social call then? Unlikely. It had to be business.

Well, whatever it was, she was about to find out, as she had reached the door to the loft. She shook her head, fixed her hair, and put on a confident and alluring smile before knocking. She could handle whatever this was.

Esmae Benoit
    Wee Bairn

Post by Esmae Benoit on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Each plant in the loft seemed to turn slightly toward the door along with Esmae's gaze when she heard a knock. Esmae couldn't help but smile a little as she thought about Mallory at the door. She had been waiting quite a long time for someone to come along and catch her attention, someone to pick up where Esmae herself had left off before Inés died.

This will be different though, Remy noted from his comfy, shaded perch under one of his favorite large-leafed plants. You aren't going to seduce her like Inés seduced you.

Esmae rolled her eyes as she made her way to the door. Yeah, well I'm not going to abuse and manipulate her either.

This is a pretty big risk you're taking, Remy reminded Esmae. This was true -- there were plenty of clio in her inner circles that had devoted more time and energy to Esmae, many who'd given up higher-payoff jobs because they believed in the mission of the group.

None of them had really caught her eye, though. Sure, they were loyal, dependable, eccentric. But they didn't seem to have the innovation, the determination, the possibility that Esmae could sense in Mallory -- and they'd barely been around each other!

Esmae straightened some of the wrinkles out of her loose-fitting white button-up, which had intricate little pins on each side of the collar and had a few buttons undone at the top and bottom of the shirt. She wore black straight-legged dress pants that stopped high on her ankles, and some dress shoes. This was a fairly casual outfit for her, but she wanted to make sure that Mallory knew this time was important to her.

As she opened the door, her plants all blossomed behind her, practically greeting Mallory themselves.

"Mallory," she said with a smile. "Thanks so much for coming. Come on in." Esmae stepped to the side so Mallory could come through the doorway, looking right at Remy.

She's the one, I'm sure of it.
    Mallory Lorenz
    Wee Bairn

Post by Mallory Lorenz on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 pm

"Esmae, hi," Mallory said, flashing a smile. She walked in as if she'd been here a dozen times before. Esmae seemed polite and professional, but underneath it all Mallory knew she was a ruthless crimelord. She had to be, to have gotten where she was today. And these crimelord types could sense weakness. Mal had to appear strong, confident, to stay on Esmae's good side.

"This is beautiful," she said, referring to the plants and decor. She was lying. All in all it was too bright for her tastes, too busy, too humid. Like living in a greenhouse. Mallory herself was a night owl who would never be home regularly enough to care for plants, and gods forbid she trust the younger ones to do it.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" she asked, turning to face Esmae.
    Esmae Benoit
    Wee Bairn

Post by Esmae Benoit on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Mallory was cool and confident, more so than Esmae had anticipated. Sometimes clio acted that way after being invited to Esmae's for the first time (and, of course, sometimes that was just a clio's personality). She wasn't interested in facades, though -- she wanted genuine connection, with her inner circles at least. And especially with someone that she hoped would become her number two.

Esmae closed the door behind them as Mallory complimented the place, giving thanks with a nod. She considered her loft to be a sort of personal sanctuary. Some said she was a completely different clio when she was there, and she agreed. She was calmer, more clear-minded, and creative.

Even so, she was surprised when Mallory turned and addressed her so bluntly. Before she could answer, the teapot started hissing as the water boiled inside.

"So quick to business," she said casually. "Can I get you some tea?" She moved into the open kitchen, taking the pot off the burner.

"I've been impressed by your work, Mallory," she said while pouring hot water into her own mug. "You've dealt with some pretty...unpredictable clients lately. You always handle yourself exceptionally well. What you worked out with the Anderson Bros.? You were quick on your feet and able to save us a lot of money and trouble. I appreciate that."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:13 am