Amelia

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

flowers are pretty :: grey

Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

flowers are pretty :: grey Empty flowers are pretty :: grey

Post by Wilder Nightsong Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Grey is going to kill us, Ness said, fluttering above Wil's head as the latter climbed along a fire escape attached to an apartment building. Wil ignored her daemon and kept climbing, peering around at each landing as she reached them. Someone here had to have a flower box.

Wilder, only a half an hour prior, had settled. So maybe she hadn't settled as what she was supposed to...the fact that she'd settled at all was awesome. The fact that she'd settled before Grey was even better.

Ness shook his little bird head (it was a cute little bird head, one that Wil quite liked).

"He'll get over it," Wil said. Grey was always "getting over" the things that Wil did or said, and this was just gonna have to be one of them. Nadar had obviously been the right fit for her or she'd be Dian right now like what she and Grey had discussed a few months ago. He was so much more practical than she was, so much more...dull. Wil laughed aloud at her own thoughts. "Get it, Ness? Grey is dull."

Amusing, Ness said monotonously.

"Aha!" A box of flowers clung to the edge of the wrought iron balcony Wilder had climbed to. "Bingo!" She hooked her arm around a bar of the ladder and used her other hand to coax a few seeds from the dirt. A few of them had little sprouts already growing out of the seed coating; a few others were still encased safely in their shell. She had the seeds float gently into her pocket, smiling at them as they trailed along shakily. She left the flowers that had already sprouted, unwilling to rip them from their rooted spots. Instead she made them dance for a moment, opening and closing their petals and twirling their leaves. She wasn't finished, hadn't had enough of her newly found wielding abilities, when a woman came out onto the balcony and screamed in surprise. Wil offered a half smile and then climbed down the ladder as quickly as possible.

She swung from one stairwell to the next, Ness fluttering above her muttering obscenities. He'd never been a fan of her unnecessary "adventures", and he still wasn't happy about her settling choice. Have I ever told you you're too much like Grey? Wil thought to him.

Wil finally swung to the bottom of the fire escapes, and landed on the cement ground. She brushed her hands on her (extremely dirty and ill-fitted) overalls before walking a few blocks over to the alleyway that was currently serving as home. It was as good a spot as any--it protected from the wind on three sides, and had a large metal contraption that provided heat to the attached apartments or something, which helped block their view from the street.

"Grey?" she asked, walking around said heater or something.
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

flowers are pretty :: grey Empty Re: flowers are pretty :: grey

Post by Grey Nightsong Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:57 am

Grey sat up against the brick building's wall, digging through his and Wil's small stash of canned food. The stash was running a little low and would need to be stocked up again soon, he thought with annoyance. It seemed like they had just done that a couple days ago, and it always ran out so fast. He found a can of chicken noodle soup and went to work on it with his dull, rusty pocketknife, trying to cut a big enough hole that he could drink out of.

You're lucky you don't need to eat, he thought to Loren, as he cut a U-shape into the metal top and managed to pry it back. Careful not to cut his mouth open, he took a long drink of salty broth and noodles.

No, but I still have to deal with your grumpy ass when you get hungry, Loren, in the form of a black cat, replied, flicking her tail. It was mostly a joke; Grey was always grumpy, hungry or not. But then again he was pretty often hungry too.

He looked up mid-soup-drink when Wil suddenly appeared, walking around from the other side of the big metal thing in the alley. "What's up?" he asked. He hadn't seen Wil all day. "Where've you been?" Hopefully getting more food somewhere.
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am

"Ohhh," Wil said, trying to play coy but completely failing to keep the excitement out of her voice, "just the usual." It was mostly true, anyway. She'd started the day at the dingy market in the center of the city, it wasn't her fault that something so amazing had happened to steal her interest.

She swung her knapsack off her shoulder and dropped her her knees so she could pull the few items she'd been able to nab before ~the event~. She grabbed an apple and launched it through the air at Grey before taking one out of her bag for herself and shoving it in her mouth before drawing out a few cans of assorted things. It wasn't much--Grey would definitely be irritated. But hopefully he'd be satisfied with the apple.

She dropped the cans in the stash and then sat on a beaten down cardboard box, that now served as more of a cardboard mat. She took the apple out of her mouth and took a proper bite of it, savoring the sweetness. "Oh! And I settled!" she told him, looking up at him with a wide grin. She meant to say it casually, but her tone was all off. The excitement could not be hidden.
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:34 am

Grey thankfully caught the apple with his free hand before it hit him in the face. Actual fresh fruit was a rarity in their lives, though, so he couldn't even bring himself to be mad at her for throwing things at him. He finished chugging his soup as Wil pulled out other foodstuff she'd found, before taking a huge bite. Mmm, he couldn't remember the last time he'd tasted something so sweet. Now that it was getting to be springtime, they'd hopefully have more chances to nab some produce every once in a while.

Wil wrote:"Oh! And I settled!"

Luckily Grey was in between bites of apple, or he probably would have started choking. "You what?" he exclaimed. He looked at Wil in disbelief for a second. Somehow, he had always thought he would be the one to settle first. He'd always assumed he was older, and he knew he was more mature.

Apparently not, Loren said with a snicker.

Well...despite his disappointment that Wil had settled first, he had to admit this was good news. Things would be so much easier now with one of them settled, and she might even be able to get a real job. "Well okay, let's see what you can do," he said. Wil had been talking for months about how she was going to settle as Dian, so he tossed his empty soup can at her, expecting her to be able to repel it or something.
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:54 am

Incoming! Ness said quickly as the soup can sailed through the air.

Wil dodged just in time and the can flew past her shoulder before falling with a clamor onto the alley's cemented floor. "What the hell?" Wil asked, looking over her shoulder at the can and back to Grey. She stood up.

Oh. Dian. Right. "Okay, you see, about that," she said, biting her upper lip and sucking on it a little. "Okay, so, like, I know we talked about me settling as Dian, and you know I wanted to..."
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am

Grey watched in confusion as Wil ducked out of the way of the soup can and yelled at him. He was about to retort that she should be able to stop it, when she got a weird, almost guilty look on her face. Oh, fucking hell. Did she...?

He let out a heavy, annoyed sigh. "You picked Nadar, didn't you?" he said. Wil used to talk about maybe kinda wanting to choose Nadar, until Grey pointed out how useless it would be for them, living here in the city. But Wil never did things that made sense.
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Wil smiled her guilty smile that seemed to say, "Don't hurt me please." It was true that Dian would have been the more practical choice, the more logical one. "I really wanted to settle as Dian, I swear!" she tried to explain. "I thought that's what I'd chosen, but then, I don't know, I didn't, I guess." Sure, she'd always wished she could pick Nadar, but she really thought she'd convinced herself into Dian. Apparently that's not how eilemaiden-picking went.

Still grinning sheepishly, Wil held open her pocket and one of the mini sproutlings danced out. It swayed in the air, mostly due to Wil's lack of control, but to her it looked like it was waving at them. "Look! It's waving at us," she said proudly. It hovered in the air between them, tiny and green. It was so cute. She looked up at Grey, who did not seem impressed.

"And look! Ness is a, uh, some sort of really pretty bird!" she added, trying to take the attention off herself.

"A European (wherever that was) Bee Eater," Ness said aloud. He was pretty, he could admit. And he liked that he'd be able to fly forever. That was obviously a bonus.
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Grey crossed his arms, annoyed, and watched as Wil produced a tiny sprout from her pocket and made it float in the air, waving back and forth. She looked so goddamn happy watching the tiny plant dance that he couldn't actually bring himself to be as mad as he wanted to be.

"Great. Plants and a pretty bird. That'll be useful," he said, settling on being sarcastic instead.

Oh, be nice, Loren said reproachfully. Settling was a big deal, no need to make Wil feel bad about it. It's more useful than still being unsettled!

"...Congratulations. I guess," Grey mumbled. He hated to admit it, but Loren was right. "On settling."
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Wil was going to say something defensive when Grey finally offered her a mumbled congratulations. She decided to ignore his disappointed irritation and instead said, "Thank you," with a smile. If she spent her life focused on all the times Grey had been irritated or disappointed with her, she'd never have time to do anything else.

"You know," she told him, keeping her eyes on the little waving sprout, "now that I'm settled I can get a job!" They'd spent years stealing and scavenging, and though she wasn't naive enough to think she'd be making any big money, anything would help. A few dollars here and there could go a long way, what would life be like if they had a steady stream?
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:14 pm

"Like what?" Grey asked. If she had settled in Dian like she said she was going to, she could have gotten some kind of factory work. Then again, it was kinda hard to picture Wil working in a dark, dingy factory. Him, sure. Her, not so much. Maybe instead she'd be able to get a job at the market, and be able to bring home some food whenever she wanted. That'd be pretty great.

In the years they'd been together, Grey and Wil had always been focused on surviving one day at a time. They'd never really had the luxury of dreams and aspirations beyond "don't starve or freeze today." But now that Wil was settled (and he couldn't be too far behind, right?), whole new possibilities could be opening up.
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 pm

"I'm not sure," Wil said thoughtfully. The idea of settling had always seemed so far off for her; she hadn't really put much thought into what she would do once it happened. "I'll look around tomorrow. See if anything is hiring."

She took another bite of her apple and thought about the flower box she'd stolen the seedlings from. "If I get good enough, maybe I could grow us something. To eat."
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 pm

"Oh right, you can grow stuff in that garden we totally have," Grey said sarcastically, reverting back to his usual cynical self. Seriously, where did Wil think she was going to be able to grow food in Stonecraft? Though he had to admit, the job thing was still promising. Any amount of money would be huge for them.
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:00 pm

"Okay, wow, way to be an asshole," Wil said, not bothering to hide the hurt from her voice. Usually it was easy to let Grey's jerk comments roll off her back, but she was actually excited about this. It wasn't a forced optimism to help her get through the day--she actually felt like she had something worthwhile to look forward to.

Ness didn't bother consoling her. He knew as well as she did that Grey was an asshole, but he also knew as well as she did that it didn't matter. That's just how Grey was, and they loved him for it as much as they were annoyed by it.

Ignoring her daemon's reasoning behind his silence, Wil stood up. She grabbed her knapsack and slung it back on her shoulder. "Forget it, I'll see you later," she told Grey. He was just mad he hadn't settled. Thought he knew everything.

She took another bite of her apple and walked off, decidedly not looking back.
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Way to go, Loren told Grey, who felt a wave of guilt wash over him. He knew how much of a big deal settling was, and could plainly see how excited Wil was about Nadar, but he still had to go and be a dick about it (because...Nadar). He was a dick about a lot of things, but maybe this was something he should have tried harder to bite his tongue on.

"Wait, wait, Wil!" he called, scrambling up and hurrying after her. He caught up to her and walked alongside her as she continued to refuse to look at him. "Hey, I'm sorry. It's really cool that you settled, okay?"
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Wil took another bite of her apple, staring straight ahead. It did feel nice, hearing him apologize. He so seldom did, whenever he said sorry she knew he either really felt bad or had messed up in some way. Despite this, she took her time chewing through her bite of apple and then swallowed before acknowledging his presence.

"It's okay," she said finally. "You can't help that you can't control your sarcasm. I hear it gets easier with age; something about maturity." She looked over her shoulder at him and smiled, obviously kidding. He was so dumb and cynical, this brother of hers. As Ness had pointed out--Wil loved him for it. "When I grow you the best tomatoes you've ever tasted you will be thankful." She'd seen plenty of window boxes growing small vegetable plants. If Grey could stop being salty for a minute, she knew he'd be able to appreciate the idea, at least. They'd just need to settle down first, which meant she needed that job. Which she could do now, because she was settled!
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Grey's expression hardened at Wil's teasing, but he fought back against the urge to snark back. He'd just apologized to her, after all. It was amazing how quickly she could make him shift between guilt and annoyance. "I'm sure they'll be great," he said, forcing himself to sound sincere. Despite his annoyance, he was glad she wasn't upset.

"I'll pick Earalas when I settle," he declared as they walked beside each other. "That way we won't freeze to death in the winter."

Tomatoes and not freezing to death. Lofty goals, these two had.
    Wilder Nightsong
    Wilder Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Wilder Nightsong Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am

Wil nodded, agreeing with the idea. She wanted to freaking sing, she was so happy. She sang all the time, but when excitement bubbled in her belly it was almost impossible not to. So she did.

A stupid, funny, almost nonsensical tune belted from her lips. "Food! And Fire! Settling is greaaat, yeah!" She did a funny little dance as she sang, spinning in the street. "Settling is great, YEAH!" She ended in a jazz pose, with her hands in the air, her fingers wiggling. The sprouts had journeyed out of her pocket and were dancing in the air around her. Pizazz--Wil had it.

It had taken SO LONG. She and Grey had SURVIVED. They'd MADE IT! Years of surviving with nothing--and now she had settled, Grey would be settling any time now, and things were going to get easier! Yayyyy.
    Grey Nightsong
    Grey Nightsong
    Borkon Lover

Post by Grey Nightsong Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:04 pm

"You're ridiculous," Grey said, shaking his head. He couldn't even be surprised or confused by Wil's crazy musical outburst because she literally did stuff like this all. The. Time. Always singing and dancing, always loud and annoying. Sometimes she did it early in the morning when he was trying to sleep, irritating him to no end. He didn't know where she got all her positive energy from.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm